RESOLUTIONS OF THE 42nd CLERGY LAITY CONGRESS
Greek Orthodox Archdiocesis of America
RESOLUTION REGARDING THREAT TO CHRISTIANS AND OTHER RELIGIOUS MINORITIES IN THE MIDDLE EAST
WHEREAS: Christ was born in Bethlehem and conducted his ministry and lived and ended his life on earth in Judea and Galilee;
WHEREAS: for over 2,000 years, the Middle East has been home to large communities of Christians;
WHEREAS: Orthodox Christians and other religious minorities in the Middle East are subject to violent attacks, live under a constant threat to their safety and have been slaughtered because of their faith; and
WHEREAS: millions of Christians and other religious minorities in the Middle East are being forced to flee the ancestral homes in which they have lived for centuries;
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the 42nd Clergy-Laity Congress of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, assembled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
1) that the governments of the Middle East protect all Christians and other religious minorities within their lands;
2) that the government of the United States of America communicate to governments of the Middle East the concerns of the American people regarding the lack of religious freedom for Christians and other religious minorities in the Middle East; and
3) that copies of this resolution be presented to the President of the United States, the Secretary of State and the chairs of the Senate and House Foreign Affairs Committees.
RESOLUTION REGARDING THE ENVIRONMENT
WHEREAS: we have witnessed the alarming deterioration of the environment in areas such as the endangerment of biodiversity, climate change, pollution, and abuse and exhaustion of finite natural resources;
WHEREAS: countless communities around the globe are suffering from the harmful effects of environmental degradation;
WHEREAS: His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew has launched numerous conferences and initiatives to curb environmental abuse.
WHEREAS: His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew has reminded us that the current environmental crisis is a religious and spiritual matter; and
WHEREAS: there exists a need for further ministry and assistance towards environmental efforts in order to better our own world and that of future generations;
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, by the 42nd Biennial Clergy-Laity Congress of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, assembled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
1) That we call upon the global community, and particularly our Orthodox Faithful in America, to be mindful and supportive of initiatives that are put forth to better the environment;
2) That we continue to participate in and provide assistance for the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s continued ecological activities to preserve our earth and its natural resources; and
3) That we give thanks to God for the Earth and pray for those who are victims of environmental destruction.
A full report on all resolutions is found HERE